Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Who's to Blame? Frankenstein

"Think not, Walton, that in the last moments of my existence I feel that burning hatred, and ardent desire of revenge, I once expressed, but feel myself justified in desiring the death of my adversary. During these last days I have been occupied in examining my past conduct; nor do i find it blameable" (161).

Even though throughout the novel Frankenstein has been overcome by guilt, he admits his failures while dying. Although he doesn't absolve himself of blame, he has reflected upon his actions and found them necessary. The frame story setup allowed the reader to hear from Walton to prompt Victor's story which includes the creature's story. After learning the stories of these characters, the reader can grasp the realities of their lives and the motives for their actions. Victor felt a sense of duty towards the creature, but he finally failed. He felt he owed the creature happiness since he is the creator, but the necessity of protecting humankind came first. He should feel guilty for even creating the creature. As he lay dying, Victor feels he did the right thing by sacrificing the creature's happiness and not creating his female counterpart.

No comments:

Post a Comment