Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Family: Frankenstein

"I was tempted to plunge in to the silent lake, that the waters might close over me and my calamities forever. But I was restrained, when I thought of the heroic and suffering Elizabeth, whom I tenderly loved, and whose existence was bound up in mine" (62).

The themes of duty and family are closely connected in the stories because Victor and his family hold such a strong sense of duty towards each other. Even in his most depressed states, Victor thinks about his family. Each member looks out for one another, and the family even takes others in when necessary. Even though Victor upholds his duty to his family, he does not have a strong sense of duty when it comes to the creature. If anything, Victor is driven by guilt to take care of his creation. Maybe after hearing the creature's plea and story, Victor's feelings will change. If, however, the creature did murder William, then Victor will not have any positive feelings for the creature. That would threaten the thing Victor holds most dear, and perhaps this could lead to his downfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment