Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Creature: Frankenstein

"-oh! not the ten-thousandth portion of the anguish that was mine during the lingering detail of the execution. A frightful selfishness hurried me on, while my heart was poisoned with remorse" (163).

Although I felt my sympathy waiver when the creature told of his miserable life, I never really liked it. We talked about how it acted like a child during the moments after its creation, reaching out for his father. I think he acted like a child throughout the entire book, especially with Victor. He throws a fit when he cannot get what he wants and then makes selfish demands and threats. I understand that he was desperate from loneliness, but he acted like a whiny child. If he could not have love and happiness, then neither could Victor. He has to take all the joy from Victor's life until he eventually dies simply because Victor was morally unable to make another creature. The creature, although intelligent, never considered the consequences to another like him. He had his mind set on a female creature, and he let that and his disappointment consume him. When he finally feels remorse five deaths later, then he decides to kill himself. I just thought his character was weak and annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment