Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Not a Fan of Victor Either: Frankenstein

"I expressed a wish to visit England; but concealing the true reasons of this request, I clothed my desires under a guise which excited no suspicion, while I urged my desire with an earnestness that easily induced my father to comply" (110).

As much as I did not like the creature, by the end of the novel I liked Victor even less. I cannot understand why he wouldn't warn his family about the creature when he has suspicions about it hurting them. Even if they didn't immediately believe him, at least they would have heard of the creature. Victor is also the moodiest character I've ever encountered. He often ventured into nature and collapsed on the ground in a fit of emotion. He was too busy letting his emotions make him sick that he didn't do much to stop the creature. When he finally decides to take care of the creature, it has already been involved in the deaths of four of his friends and family. I don't know why he thought creating the creature in the first place would be a good idea. Surely he thought of some consequences when creating an eight foot monster from dead body parts?

No comments:

Post a Comment