Monday, April 23, 2012

Techniques: The Great Gatsby

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since. 'Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,' he told me, 'just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had'" (1).

The author did not dive right into the story on Nick and Gatsby; instead the novel began with a brief reflection in which Nick talks about judging others and Gatsby. This piece included a quote and a statement about Gatsby that hinted at future events, but it really created more questions. The beginning serves a greater purpose, but I expect that to come back into play at the end. Nick has been telling the story in the first person point of view, giving the reader insight into the lives of his friends and neighbors. Nick does not appear to be overly wealthy and lives in a smaller house, so he is on the outside of the wealthy circle. His associations allow him to join the rich at parties and dinners, and he shares those events with the reader. He rarely makes a judgmental comment on the happenings he tells and instead gives the facts of the event. He shares his observations with dramatic irony as the reader learns the secrets of his acquaintances.

No comments:

Post a Comment