Monday, April 30, 2012

The Not so Great Gatsby

"'And she doesn't understand,' he said. 'She used to be able to understand. We'd sit for hours-'...'Can't repeat the past?' he cried incredulously. 'Why of course you can!' He looked around him wildly, as if the past were lurking here in the shadow of his house, just out of the reach of his hand" (111).

Throughout Nick's entire relationship with Gatsby, I thought that the rich man was strange. Even though he threw these lavish parties with many people in attendance, he was not especially social. In fact, his social encounters were sort of awkward. His actions were abrupt and sharp, like when he looked around wildly. I picture him like a cornered animal, acting erratically and slightly defensive. I don't know if the author wanted him to come off as that weird, but I definitely got a strange vibe from him. I wasn't really sympathetic towards him, even when he was pursuing Daisy. The whole mystery surrounding him confused me, especially because in the beginning Nick said Gatsby turned out alright. Maybe Nick was talking about how Gatsby turned out to be alright as a person. Since he died at the end, I would guess that Nick didn't mean that Gatsby's situation was alright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment