Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Questions about Kathy's Career: Never Let Me Go

 "...I've been a carer now for over eleven years...My donors have always tended to do much better than expected. Their recovery times have been impressive, and hardly any of them have been classified as "agitated," even before fourth donation" (3).

When I began to read the background of Kathy and her career in the very beginning of the novel, I had some questions about some of the terms she used. She spoke about her career as a carer for donors, and I struggled to understand exactly what that meant. As I continued to read, I surmised that a carer was similar to a nurse, offering care and companionship to the donors. As for the donors, I wondered if that meant organ donors. I believe that it is some sort of medical procedure because Kathy mentioned recovery time. This seemed unusual to me because the donors are alive, and organ donations are done when a patient is deceased. Another term I questioned was "completing." Kathy spoke about one of her patients that was "close to completing" (5). I assumed this meant he was close to dying, but the term completing seems like a strange synonym for dying. Perhaps this is used as an euphemism so as not to agitate the donors, especially since Kathy mentioned that some donors get agitated around their fourth donation. Based on my theory that the patients are organ donors, I was surprised that they are able to endure four donations. I just do not see how that is possible to survive having organs removed on four separate occasions, and I wonder what organs are taken. I feel like the author was being intentionally vague with these terms, and everything will probably be clarified later in the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment