Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Questions about Hailsham: Never Let Me Go

"He wanted to hear about Hailsham...About our guardians, about how we each had our own collection chests under our beds, the football, the rounders, the little path that took you all round the outside of the main house, round all its nooks and crannies, the duck pond, the food, the view from the Art Room over the fields on a foggy morning" (5).

Once again I had questions arise in the midst of my reading. Since I have just begun the novel, I believe that these questions will be answered later, but now I have a focus and things to look for throughout my reading. This time I wondered about Hailsham, Kathy's school. She hinted at the fact that Hailsham is considered to be a privileged estate, so I assumed that it is some sort of boarding school. Kathy also mentioned guardians which I thought was a term for teachers. The term guardians implies much more than just teachers; however, since the word is synonymous with protectors. I wondered if this is just how the students refer to their teachers, or if the guardians have a much larger role. One thing I misinterpreted was the terms "Junior" and "Senior." I associated these terms with high school juniors and seniors, but apparently the juniors and seniors in the novel are middle school age. This could be due to the fact that the story takes place in London, and they may use different terms to describe their school levels. Since much of the novel seems to take place at Hailsham, I am sure that my questions will soon be answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment