Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Overall Reaction towards Brave New World

"'We've gone on controlling every since. It hasn't been very good for truth, of course. But it's been very good for happiness. One can't have something for nothing. Happiness has got to be paid for. You're paying for it, Mr. Watson- paying because you happen to by much too interested in beauty. I was much too interested in truth; I paid too'" (228).

I disliked this statement when I read it, but then I realized the truth behind the words "happiness has got to be paid for." People must earn their happiness, but I disagree with Mond's belief that control harbors happiness. When people are controlled to that extent, they do not have expectations or goals; they are content with their way of life because that is all they know. True happiness is achieved through struggles and accomplishments, by working towards a purpose. The statement presents the biggest difference between the Old and New World, and it is also my biggest problem with the modern society. Also, Mond's words directly relates to the overall theme of the novel; the only way to achieve a utopia and happiness is to eliminate truth and purpose. My overall reaction towards the idea of a utopia is one with disagreement and disgust. I did not at all like the lack of individuality in most of the characters, the suffocating control of rulers like Mond, the apathetic processes like hatching, or the way of life in the New World. In fact, the New World did not appeal to me at all which was the author's intent. Aldous Huxley wanted to show the world the dangers of a utopia, like how much had to be sacrificed. He achieved his goal by presenting statements like these, forcing the reader to evaluate both worlds. I was able to see Huxley's warnings about utopias, and I fully appreciate the ways of the Old World, as "uncivilized" as they may be.

1 comment:

  1. Rachael,

    I enjoyed reading your entries. They struck the perfect balance between analysis and expression of thought. Keep the same approach as you work through Never Let Me Go.

    ReplyDelete