Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I felt a Funeral, in my Brain

As strange as this poem was, I consider it to be one of my favorites out of the group. When read literally, the poem may not be perfectly clear. Even though the poem contains realistic details about a funeral, it seems to revolve more around the mind. I considered the details of the funeral to be a metaphor for the speaker's loss of sanity. The line "And then a Plank in Reason, broke, And I dropped down, and down-" was the strongest piece of evidence I have for my interpretation. The speaker compares her loss of reason to a funeral, mourning the loss of her sanity. When that plank of reason broke, that was his or her breaking point, and the speaker completely lost his or her mind. The tone is somber which is appropriate for the funeral setting. The phrases "my mind was going numb" and "Wrecked, solitary hear" seemed melancholy, like the speaker was all alone in his or her descent into insanity. I got the impression that the speaker struggled against going crazy, but in the end the speaker could not retain his or her sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment