Tuesday, September 20, 2011

APO 96225

Even though I change my favorite poem every time we have a new set, I am almost certain that this one will continue to be my favorite. I cannot really describe why I am so drawn to this poem, but I think the message is incredibly powerful. The author presents his message in a subtle way, disguised in a story. This poem exemplifies the attitude of the American public about the Vietnam War. The public was not ready to know all of the horrible details, yet this war was the most exposed to the public. The mother begs her son for details but is unable to handle the harsh realities of war which it true for many people. I thought the irony is dramatic because the reader knows about the conditions the son hesitated to tell his mother as she pleads for more details. The author did not write this poem objectively; he was putting the public's views into words. He really highlights how the majority of people felt, and I felt like he had a personal tie to war, like this topic was close to him. The speaker's attitude is almost sarcastic, and I think the last stanza shows his lack of respect for the public's reaction. The son must keep the horrors of war to himself because his mother finds them "upsetting" which seems like an understatement considering the experiences of the soldiers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment