Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hazel Tells Laverne

"how i can be a princess/ me a princess/ well my mouth drops/ all the way to the floor/ an he says/ kiss me just kiss me/ once on the nose/ well i screams/ ya little green pervert"

I found the tone of this poem to be humorous. There was no punctuation throughout, but I had no trouble following the poem; it did not run together as one thought. The diction was uneducated, but that added to the understanding of the character. As for the situation, the woman was cleaning out the Howard Johnson's ladies room because she is a maid. She does not think she can be a princess and repeats "me a princess." Perhaps this is because of her life or career, and she does not want to get her hopes up over something so unfathomable. She must look out for herself, so she does not believe the frog. Her actions fit with her character and also add humor to the poem. This is based on the fairytale "The Princess and the Frog," but the ending was very different. The ironic ending also contributed to the humor of the poem. 

1 comment:

  1. nice... I'm working on an analysis of this poem for my English class,...was browsing and ran into your blog.....nice ideas you have... I'm joining U!!!

    ReplyDelete