Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bartleby the Scrivener, Who Wasn't a Scrivener because He Didn't Do Anything the Entire Story!

"But ere parting with the reader, let me say that if this little narrative has sufficiently interested him to awaken curiosity as to who Bartleby was, and what manner of life he led prior to the present narrator's making his acquaintance, I can only reply that in such curiosity I fully share, but am wholly unable to gratify it."

This blog post's purpose is solely to let me vent my frustrations about this story and the characters. I dedicated a decent amount of time to reading this story which was no small feat. To get to the end of the story and still not have any significant insight into the purpose of what I just read was frustrating. What was even more frustrating was the fact that Bartleby and the narrator are two of the most annoying characters I have ever encountered. I knew Bartleby was weird from that movie clip we watched in class, but I did not gain much additional information from the story. Maybe I didn't read enough into his actions or his motivations to understand who he was, but he still came off as just really weird. Why would he get a job just to refuse to work? Why would he refuse to leave the office? The narrator does not help much in understanding Bartleby because the narrator himself didn't know Bartleby. I didn't understand their relationship at all, especially why the narrator concerned himself with Bartleby's well being. Even though he has a strange connection with Bartleby, the narrator went about dealing with his weird scrivener in an annoying manner, essentially avoiding the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment