Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Lonely Hearts

"Please write (with photo) to Box 152. / Who knows where it may lead once we've begun? / Can someone make my simple wish come true? / Do you live in North London? Is it you?"

I immediately thought that this poem was a series of personal want ads placed in the paper, and I became more convinced of that as I kept reading. I think the variety of people placing the ads is important; all different kinds of people in different situations were represented. One was gay, another bisexual, straight, Jewish, vegetarian, or a Libran. These people all asked for someone to make their simple wish come true. Those placing the ads asked for different kinds of people to respond, and each person had a different situation in life. However, the wish was essentially the same; they all wanted companionship and new experiences. The type of companionship may have differed, but that is because the people have different styles and lives. The array of people searching for the same thing showed that despite people's differences, we basically all want the same things. Perhaps I am reading too much into the poem, but I payed attention to the types of people placing the ads. I also kept seeing North London throughout the poem, but that probably relates to where the author is from.

No comments:

Post a Comment