Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Edward

"The curse of hell from me shall ye bear, / Mother, Mother, / The curse of hell from me shall ye bear, / Such counsels you gave to me, O."

When I began to read Edward's confessions, I did not realize that the first two were not true. I thought he had killed the hawk, the steed, and his father, but I realized my mistake when I read the question about his false answers. Most of the questions made me reread the poem, and I began to analyze their dialogue more. I did not get the impression that the mother knew about Edward's crime, but she did know what questions to ask. Perhaps she motivated him to kill his father which is why Edward curses her for her counsels. Edward himself is not an outstanding character. He is from a noble family because he must deal with the towers and the hall. He does not really care about his family since he is willing to leave his wife and children to beg and kill his father. I also got the impression that he does not like his mother, especially when he curses her. Edward's mother seems manipulative and cares only for herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment