Wednesday, February 15, 2012

As You Like It: Act I

Oliver: "Now will I stir this gamester: I hope I shall see an end of him; for my soul, yet I know not why, hates nothing more than he..But it shall not be so long; this wrestler shall clear all : nothing remains but that I kindle the boy thither; which now I'll go about." (I.i.5)

Most of the characters are introduced in the beginning of the play, allowing the audience to become familiar with them and their personalities. The protagonist is Orlando, and the antagonist seems to be Oliver. Although Duke Frederick contributes to the drama and misfortune of some characters, Oliver is actively seeking the death of his brother. Oliver and Orlando are also foil characters which contributes to the sibling rivalry idea. Orlando is more like his father Sir Rowland, and he is described as gentile, kind, educated, and well liked. In contrast, Oliver represents a much harsher character as he hopes for the death of his hated brother. Orlando resents Oliver's treatment of him, saying Oliver does not treat him like a brother and is undermining his education and character. Their contrasting personalities will probably lead to more drama and conflict as they have already been established as foil characters. The antagonist, Oliver, sets out to undermine the protagonist, Orlando, and will probably get in the way of Orlando's love for Rosalind.

No comments:

Post a Comment