Thursday, January 26, 2012

Othello Act I

Iago: "In personal suit to make me his Lieutenant,/...'I have already chose my officer.'/...One Michael Cassio, a Florentine,..." (I.i.9,I.i.17,I.i.20)

In the first act, the reader meets the characters while they engage in a situation revolving around jealousy and love. The personalities and motivations of characters are also introduced, and the protagonist and antagonist can be identified. Early into the act, Iago stands out as the clear antagonist. He plots and manipulates in order to obtain the coveted role as lieutenant, using people at will in his plans. The protagonist appears to be Othello, a Moor renowned for his military accomplishments. Othello seems to be the unfortunate prey in Iago's plot since he did not make Iago his lieutenant.Othello is able to disregard the racism and bitterness directed at him, but Iago has a plan to undermine Othello's calm demeanor. Suspense is built by throwing the reader right into the middle of a conversation, quickly learning about the developing plans. From that conversation, the reader is able to see how the plan develops to ensure drama and revenge. Iago often speaks to the audience, letting them know of his plans. Unfortunately for the other characters, none of them know of Iago's true intentions or the entirety of his plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment